Friday, November 14, 2014

To My Older Three Kids

Dear Children of Mine,

I don't know if you will read this today, tomorrow or ever but I wanted to share some thoughts with you about Sarah.

~ I want you to know that even though I'm the mom, I understand what it's like to have someone in our family who has different needs than you. When others look at Sarah because she doesn't answer them. Or when they ask "what's wrong with her?" and you don't know the answer. Because to you and to me, she is just Sarah and we know no different.

~ I know it hurts to have someone laugh at Sarah when she does things differently. And I think it's okay to feel a little embarrassed once in a while. My heart hurts for you when that happens and I pray for God's peace to surround you in those moments.

~ I understand that it's hard to explain that although she's six and a half years old, Sarah behaves and speaks like she's only three. Yeah, that's tough too.

~ I also want you to know how much I appreciate you and your unconditional love for her. She's pretty lucky to be the youngest of four siblings and have you all wrapped around her little fingers.

~ She adores you three. You are the light in her day, the rescuers, the huggers, the cuddlers, the ones she looks up to. I don't think we will ever tire of her asking for a "hug-uppy" and feel her tiny arms wrap around our neck in complete love.

~ There is something wonderful about having a little sister who is staying smaller just a little bit longer than others. It makes it easier to pull her into our laps for those "cungles" that she lives for.


 Throwback to fall 2010


To Joshua: You are the big brother. Her knight in shining armour. She looks to you to wrestle, climb over and play with. And at the same time, snuggle under a blanket watching a movie. Cherish those moments with her.


To Andrea: Sarah's elation when you walk in the door from work is something that delights me and fills my heart with joy. The way she exclaims "You came back!" as though you'd been gone for days. You are her hero. Enjoy those sweet moments when she wakes you up and wants to climb into your bed for a snuggle.

To Arianna: You are the one that she needs at night. She waits sleepily for you to come to bed and then snuggle with her, giving her the feeling of security into the night. She looks for you when you aren't here and is so happy when you're around. I love watching your relationship with her grow. I know it's tough at times because she can't play with you the way you'd like a little sister to, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate when you play with her and her toys. I know how special you are to her.



Thank you three for being the best brother and sisters that Sarah could ask for. She is so incredibly blessed to have you all to love her for who she is. Joshua, Andrea and Arianna, you are each so amazing and I love you very much.


Fall 2014

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your awesome children! You are a very blessed mom
    and Sarah is one blessed little girl to have such loving and understanding older siblings! It was so nice to see you at our Special Needs and Homeschooling blog link up again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails