Thursday, May 28, 2009
May we all have hope.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
~She is about 13.5 pounds
~She does not sleep through the night
~She loves to nurse frequently
~She is so close to crawling
~She ADORES her older siblings
~She is so much fun and has changed so much in these 11 months
I look forward to this next month of changes for her and then to see what will happen with her in her second year.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Saturday, May 9, 2009
I try hard to keep her memory alive:
- a beautiful picture of her shines on a small part of my living room
- my babies all wore a simple pale green sleeper that she bought her first grandchild
- I consider yellow roses to be my favorite because they were HER favorite
- I have friends who use the same turkey dinner stuffing recipe that she did
- my first daughter has her name... Shirley
- I drink my tea the way she liked... lots of sugar and milk
- I usually make sure my babies are dressed, especially when we leave the house. She didn't think a baby should go out in pyjamas
- I cook like her, using many of the same ingredients that she did
- I do things a certain way because that's how she did them
I know that no one is perfect but my mom was. Maybe I just picture her "perfect" because my memory won't allow anything negative to be thought of her but that's ok. She didn't yell at us kids, the house was always clean because I don't remember what it was like when she had four kids all under 9 years old, supper was always on the table when my dad got home, life was organized, she was always in control. I put her on a very high pedestal. I looked up to her and when she was gone, I didn't know how I would go on. Here I was, 7 week old baby in arms and no mom to tell me what to do for diaper rash, colic, or sleepless nights. There were (and still are) things I wish I asked her about and wonder what she'd think of me now. I hope she'd tell me that I'm doing a great job of being a mom. That if the laundry isn't done right away, that's alright. That if the house is a mess when my husband comes home, that's ok too. That burnt potatos will be fine with some gravy on top. I'd like to think she's super proud of me. That she would look at her four beautiful grandchildren and say how pleased she was of them.
On Mother's Day, I try not to get too self absorbed in missing my mom. I have four kids who adore me and want to serve me and make me as happy as possible. I will receive a bouquet of yellow flowers (ok, dandilions), handmade cards, breakfast in bed and coffee. I will delight in their faces as they gift me with treasures they have found or made in school. During "Mother's Day" I will do my best to be cheerful and happy for my excited kids who want to bless me.
May you all have a Happy Mother's Day!
Friday, May 8, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009
One year old...