Saturday, July 4, 2015

Letting Go

I think the very first time I can recall of letting one of my kids "go" was as a newborn and having someone else hold them as I tend to be a bit of a hoarder when it comes to my babies. Other moments that I can recall letting go are:
  • when their tiny hands slip out of mine and they take their first steps
  • when they toddle into a Sunday School classroom and are "okay"
  • when they master a two wheeler bike and venture out on their own
  • asking them to get the mail for me
  • allowing them to go to friend's house without me
  • permitting the first sleep-over and believing they'll do fine
  • watching them walk into a school for the first time, even if it is high school
The most recent phase of "letting go" occurred yesterday when Joshua received his driver's licence. He is now legally allowed to drive a vehicle without someone else with him. As I sit here writing this I'm trying not to obsess of his whereabouts with my friend finder app. My prayers have suddenly changed and I have a much deeper desire of asking God to protect him and watch over him. Trusting that he is in God's hands and learning to let go has been my biggest lesson over the past 24 hours. 

Last night was the first time that Joshua went out on his own, in his own car. I gave him a curfew time and trusted him to abide by it. I know he went to a friend's house but after that he just went cruising. I didn't know where he was and I just kept placing him in Jesus' hands. Yes, he came home on time and in one piece and then I was able to sleep soundly. We've entered a new era of parenting with two new drivers in the house and I'm finding I spend much time on my knees is prayer. Asking God to fill Doug and I with wisdom and praying for His protection over our kids. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails