Monday, March 11, 2013

Wheat Free Journey (Update #2)

One of the most common questions I am asked when I tell them that we don't eat wheat and have reduced our gluten intake is "what DO you eat?" We are by no means going hungry.  I've listed below the foods that I do eat and enjoy.

  • Glutino brand crackers - this satisfies the desire for something crunchy.  They come in a variety of flavours and are really good.
  • All fruits and vegetables - not much else to say about that.
  • Bob's Red Mill Pancake mix - one of our favorites.  Lots of flavour and really quite good
  • There's also other mixes for cookies, muffins, breads and other baked goods
  • Popcorners and Chee-Cha Puffs are two other favorite snacks of ours as well
  • I've bought gluten-free corn flakes and rice crispies. 
  • The pastas I buy are either rice or corn based.  The kids like them both.
  • I make lots of quinoa as well.
One of the biggest things to get used to is no bread.  I haven't quite mastered how to make the best wheat free bread and so we've gone without.  I've ordered gluten free pizzas, had chicken burgers with a gluten free bun and if all else fails, I'll eat some fries and make something at home.  I've created lots of salads and with The Organic Box delivering our fruits and veggies every week, there's no shortage of produce in the house.  I have purchased a few different non-wheat flour varieties and so that's helped keep my love of baking going.  Rice flour is drier than others when used as a base but there's some gluten and wheat-free all purpose baking flours that do the job well.  I love shopping at The Bulk Barn as they have all kinds of bulk wheat-free flours, pastas and snacks.  Home Grown Foods in Stony Plain is also great for wheat free options.  

As far as how we feel... Doug feels really good.  He's lost a significant amount of weight and even complained about his jeans being too big!  I haven't lost much but I feel healthier and less 'full' all the time.  It's been a really positive change for us and I can certainly see this as a lifestyle that will benefit our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails