Thursday, April 17, 2014

Andrea's Testimony

*This was typed out by myself but the words are all Andrea's. I corrected spelling and grammar but other than that, the writing is her own.*

Andrea’s Testimony
April 6, 2014

Since grade five, I have been determined to grow out my hair past my knees. I had set a goal and was working towards it. In grade six, I had gone to get a trim. Just an inch off then ends to clean the split ends. The hair dresser got talking to my mum and by the end, had layered it and cut it to about my shoulder blades. I was really disappointed and sad.

Later, when my ends were splitting again, I cut it myself. I braided it and trimmed the ends because I was so addicted to my hair and couldn’t trust a hair dresser. 

It was on a Wednesday (March 26), that I decided to cut it and not just a trim or even a couple of inches. I needed to get rid of it. It became an idol in a way. I was obsessed with growing it and caring for it. There was also the fact that it wasn’t manageable anymore. I hated showering because it took forever and brushing it was a pain. Plus, it was beginning to hurt my neck and scalp. 

I cried for an hour on Thursday night and then I prayed. I begged God to give me an answer, I needed Him to tell me what to do. After praying from 1:00 am till 2:00 am, I opened my Bible and read the ten commandments because I thought it might help. And it did. I read over it twice and then asked God to tell me what to do. I was especially drawn to verses 3 to 6 which read: 

“3. You shall have no other gods before me. 4. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6. but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Exodus 20: 3-6)


My hair had become an idol to me and I felt that God was telling me He wanted to be more important in my life than my hair. The next day, I cut it to the length it is now which is about 20 inches shorter! And I couldn’t stop smiling. I’m really happy with it and I know God helped me chose the right thing to do. I feel like like I have been released of a burden that had a firm hold of me and God has helped me grow in Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails