Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tidbit Tuesday

Yesterday, Sarah had her second to last home visit with Wendy from Early Intervention. Since I will not be able to access their services after Sarah turns 5, I had requested a final DISC assessment, simply to see where Sarah is at and what I would do (if anything) for the fall. Our first official DISC (Diagnostic Inventory for Screening Children) was done on May 16, 2011 and we've had a couple informal screens done since then. The results from yesterday are as follows:

Fine Motor: 44-45 months (14-15 months delayed)
Gross Motor: 47-48 months (11-12 months delayed)
Receptive Language: 42-43 months (16-17 months delayed)
Expressive Language: 44-45 months (14-15 months delayed)
Auditory Memory: 42-43 months (16-17 months delayed)
Visual Memory: 37-38 months (21-22 months delayed)
Self Help Skills: 39-40 months (19-20 months delayed)
Social Skills: 51-52 months (7-8 months delayed)

Here it's shown how she has improved over the span of two years. She's still marginally below her actual age (the top black line is her current age) but as Wendy said "onward and upward". The top pink line shows where her abilities are at as of yesterday. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what does this mean? Obviously, since developmentally she is between 3 & 4 years old, kindergarten in the traditional sense isn't very practical or logical for her. We will spend another year doing hours and hours of play time with her siblings and friends. In the fall of 2014, I can consider enrolling her with the homeschooling board that the older three kids are in. At that point we will have access to additional supports with our facilitator. I've decided to put the kindergarten year to rest. It can't and won't happen for us, at least not now.  How do I feel about that...? I'm working through it.

The above charts say the same thing, just in a different way. In some areas, the gaps continue to increase as we were told they would. She will keep growing, just slower than others. 


"Come to me, all who weak and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." 
~Matthew 11:28-29




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails