Saturday, November 24, 2012

One Year Ago

It was this day last year that we received Sarah's diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy.  You can re-read about it at this LINK if you wish.

I think this past year has brought me to a few different places.  One has been acceptance.  I have accepted the diagnosis and I can not change it.  I can take the information that has been given to me, learn as much as I can about it and do everything in my power to support Sarah.  I have become stronger as the year has gone by.  I have dealt with looks of disapproval from strangers as I change her, curious glances as to why her speech isn't what it "should" be and my own personal struggle when I see how far from other four year olds she is.  I often feel mixed between offering people an explanation and a part of me thinks it's none of their business and I shouldn't worry about it. 

I am thankful for her laid back personality.  She's easy to please, is naturally sweet and has a huge amount of love for everyone!  She is innocent and naive.  If she is upset or crying, then something is genuinely wrong, whether she is sick, over tired or hurt.  She doesn't argue, fight or put up a fuss for anything.  She has such a wonderful little personality and I love who she is.

2011

2012

We have seen so much progress in Sarah over the past year.  Her speech has improved by leaps and bounds and although it's far from where other kids her age are, I know that she's gaining at her own pace. Our EI coordinator is encouraging and supportive and I really can't imagine what we would have done without her.  She is amazing with Sarah and I am so thankful for her knowledge and dedication to our family. 

I am truly appreciative of all my family who loves and supports us.  I am blessed by their words, visits and encouraging hugs.  Sarah's siblings adore her.  They are her biggest advocates and cheer team.  Even a bite of *real* supper brings on applause and praises for her!  I also am thankful for my friends.  The weekly coffee dates, sharing my fears, frustrations, joys and victories are one of the many things that has gotten me through some of the harder days.

I do think my biggest weakness at this time is that I really need to lean on God more when I'm down.  I have a tendency to want to figure it out on my own and sort my problems out by myself.  I need to have a bigger faith and listen harder to what He has to say about these kinds of things. Maybe I'm scared of the answer?  Or possibly exposing my heart...?  I don't know.  I'm interested to see what this next year has in store for us.

*mug is from CafePress*


1 comment:

  1. Hi, We are also a Christian homeshcool family with a special-needs son. I found you through Love that Max. I'm trying to compile a list of special-needs blogs so that people can find them easily. Would you consider adding your blog to http://boynamedsilas.blogspot.com/p/start-linkytools-script-srchttpwww.html? Hopefully it can help get you more traffic as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails