When I sat down in his office, Sarah's chart was set out and open already, which was kind of nice because I felt he was prepared. For a while now, Sarah has been displaying some really odd symptoms and I needed to voice my thoughts and see what Dr. M's ideas were on it. Some of these things are:
- flaps her arms
- spins (and doesn't appear to be dizzy)
- she doesn't make good eye contact
- no understanding of fear and danger
- laughs inappropriately
- insensitive or oversensitive to pain
So, in a nutshell: all of Sarah's delays are due to the extreme Microcephaly: (Microcephaly is a medical condition in which the circumference of the head is smaller than normal because the brain has not developed properly or has stopped growing. Microcephaly can be present at birth or it may develop in the first few years of life).
- or learning disability
- delayed motor function and speech
- facial distortions,
- dwarfism or short stature,
- difficulties with coordination and balance, and
- other brain or neurological abnormalities.
He told me that she will always be fairly behind kids her age and the gap will continue to grow as she gets older and that's because she's developing at a much slower rate than others. She also very likely will be dependent into her adulthood. Maybe not, but he said to be prepared for a lifetime of supporting her.