Monday, April 8, 2013

Wheat Free Baking

When I embarked upon my wheat/gluten free changes, I was a little worried about what or how I would ever bake again.  I was surprised to find a plethora of resources that allow me to fullfil my desire to bake yummy treats and still remain wheat free.  

Yesterday's cookies were a huge hit!  They are butter, wheat/gluten and egg FREE!  I took the recipe from Stephanie Cooks Blog (not me) and modified it.  

Butter-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cups GLUTEN FREE ALL PURPOSE BAKING FLOUR
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 portion of egg replacement product
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Stir together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together both types of sugar, oil, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and shape into tight rounds of about ¾ to 1 inch. Space them about 2 inches apart on two ungreased cookie sheets. The mounds should be bursting with chips. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Makes about 2 dozen



The second recipe was made this morning and I tackled muffins.  Again, they were AMAZING!  I don't know where I got my original recipe but here's what I did today.

Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups chickpea flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup melted butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 portions of egg replacement (or 2 eggs)

Combine the dry ingredients and make a well in the center.  Mix the remaining wet ingredients.  Add the wet to dry and mix until just moistened.
Add to muffin tins (makes about 24)
Sprinkle tops with a mixture of 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon if desired.

Bake at 400* for 17-20 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails